Skip to main content

How to help someone experiencing an overdose

Three things all community members should know about preventing overdose:

  • Carry Narcan (naloxone) with you, and carry multiple doses. If you are someone who encounters people other than your cat, have Narcan on hand. 
  • After administering Narcan, call 911. Narcan buys time, but someone who has experienced an overdose needs medical attention. 
  • Good Samaritan laws mean you won’t be held liable and won’t be prosecuted for possession if you administer Narcan and call for help. 

To get Narcan for free, call the North Central Vermont Recovery Center at 802-851-8120 or email NCVRC’s website explains the signs of overdose and how to administer Narcan, and anyone can register for an overdose prevention training by contacting 802-528-1139 or